Priming For Success

*You will hear me refer to this building as “the chicken coop”.  Really it’s not fair for me to call it that since the only thing that makes it a chicken coop are the original nests.  We are currently using it as a garden shed and a place to store old lumber.  I’m always surprised when people ask how many chickens we have.  The truth is we have zero.  Zip. Zilch.  So when I refer to it as the chicken coop, what I really mean is “that-building-on-the-south-edge-of-our-property”.  🙂

 

I did it.  It’s (almost) completed.  Yesterday morning I finished priming the chicken coop.  I almost feel as accomplished as when I was on summer staff at Camp Mennoscah and it was part of my job to paint the crafts building.  I remember it took me most of the summer and I was so relieved I was done I sat at dinner with a huge smile on my face.  It was so gratifying to have that job done.  With this job, I know I’m not done.  Closer, but I/we have more to do before I’m willing to say this project is done.  Completed.  Accomplished.  But I’m not going to focus on that today.  Rather, let’s just focus on how far this project has come so far.  

Image

 

It is the first building you see as you come up to our house from the road.  In my opinion, it doesn’t exactly put of the “hey, welcome to our amazing, awesome house!”.  Instead, I feel like it reads “are you current on your tetanus shot?”.  

In between my busy schedule of working a part time job on top of my full time teaching job, I took a few evenings here and there to scrap the sides of the building.  That way when I had time after school was out to work on it, I could hit the ground running.  Literally.  The first few days after school I ran with my gallon of primer in my hand so I could get started on this bad boy.  

Once it was scraped, it looked even rougher than before.   

Image

But, I knew this look wouldn’t last much longer.  There was now a countdown for when it would become the cutest little chicken coop on the block. 

Image

After about a week of priming, I was left with this:

 

Image

 

In the process of priming, I ripped off the wood that was covering the window hole.  There was also a random 2 x 4 that was nailed to the side of the building with some pretty gnarly nails.  That also went away.  The black window that is currently leaning against the building is a possibility to use for the window on this side.  I am in favor, Adam is a bit of a skeptic that it could work.  I feel like I should say at this point that the roof is in great shape.  Before we bought the property, someone put tin over the boards.  We haven’t had any issues, as far as we can tell, with water leaking in.  Whoop!  

Now the next step is to choose a color.  And I think I’m really close to choosing.  Originally I wanted a barn red color; something that would really “pop”.  When I would show Adam different shades of what I considered barn red, he would always comment “do you know how bright that will be?”  After showing him the fifth color, I realized what was lying underneath that comment was “Jill, I’m not a fan.  I want something with a bit less pop.”  So, I went back to the drawing board, er, color swatches at the hardware store.  What I came up with is a dark blue with some undertones of gray.  Because our house is gray I want it to look nice next to the house, but not be really matchy-matchy.  That is definitely not my style.  

Image

 

I am really leaning towards D254.  It’s pretty bold and I think it will be a good compromise for our relationship.  🙂  I also brought home a few color swatches to color match the trim on the house.  

A few more things on the list for this project include:

*Adding a barn door and possibly enlarging the door on the east side.  Enlarging the door would allow us to get our mower in without too many problems.

*Painting (can’t wait!)

*Replacing the wood floors inside the building.  They are a major tripping hazard.  

*Figuring out what to do with the south side of the building.  I haven’t even touched that part yet because we’re not sure what type of windows we want to go with and there’s a lot of clean up that needs to occur.  

Image

So, there ya have it.  I can’t wait to share with you the final look!

Advertisements

3 responses to “Priming For Success

  1. A nice gray-blue will look good with the house (and won’t be as in-your-face as red). I remember spending some time painting the craft house with you! 🙂

    AND, I love it when you post on your blog!

  2. Pingback: It’s ‘Bout Time!! | School House Shake Up·

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s